GHG Management System
In 2008, Chunghwa Telecom took a leading role in the industry by conducting a greenhouse gas (GHG) inventory covering 100% of our operational sites. We used the Greenhouse Gas Protocol developed by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) as the inventory tool to establish a GHG emissions inventory. We obtained a verification statement from a third-party verifier (SGS-Taiwan), becoming the first telecommunications company in Taiwan to obtain ISO 14064-1 verification, which serves as the information foundation for promoting GHG reduction and carbon management.
Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions
The total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by CHT in 2022 is 714,098.036 t-CO2e, which include CO2, CH4, N2O, HFCs, PFCs, SF6 and NF3. Now that we did not emit PFCs, SF6, NF3, the values thereof are 0.
- The primary energy source for CHT operation is electricity. The GHG emissions mainly fall in the Scope 2 (purchased electricity), accounting for 97.31%, and in the Scope 1 from transport work vehicles, accounting for 2.69% only. There was a slight decrease in the total emissions in 2022, dropped by 9.64% compared with 2020 levels, thanks to implementation of various energy efficiency and carbon reduction measures.
- Scope 3 (Categories 3-6): 1,828,060.8890 t-CO2e; total GHG emissions of Scope 1, 2, and 3 (Categories 1-6): 2,542,158.925 t-CO2e
|Direct Emissions (Scope 1)（t-CO₂e）||28,455.5921||22,192.9316||17,887.470||19,185.3151
|Indirect Emissions (Scope 2)（t-CO₂e）||795,295.4952||768,128.0670||716,979.259||694,912.721
|Total Emissions (Scope 1 + Scope 2)（t-CO₂e）||823,751.0873||790,320.9986||734,866.729||714,098.036|
|Emission Intensity（t-CO2e/million NTD）||4.0||3.8||3.5||3.3|
|Coverage as percentage in revenue（t-CO₂e）||100%||100%||100%||100%|
Note 1: Analysis for the slight increase in Scope 1 in 2022:
- The number of people returning to work increased each day thanks to the pandemic ease-up with the work hours of employees raised by about 20.2% compared with 2021, resulting in increased methane emissions, estimated based on the escape of septic tanks
- Some generators in operation for more than 10 hours due to the power outage of Taipower, resulting in an increased fuel consumption
- The business growth of the Company from a revenue of NT$178.8 billion in 2021 to NT$182.3 billion in 2022, with a performance increase by 1.96%, along with 1,512 employees acquired, resulting in an increase in Scope 1 emissions
Note 2: An emission target of 740,000 metric tons, along with the challenge target of 710,000 metric tons, was set for 2022.
Scope 3 Emissions
In 2022, In line with ISO 14064-1:2018 and with reference to the GHG Protocol Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3), Chunghwa Telecom investigated the 15 GHG emissions from the related business activities in the upstream and downstream to inventory the Scope 3, 4, and 5, and the verification statement was obtained from TUV SUD Taiwan.
|Scope 3 emissions||2019||2020||2021||2022|
2022 Scope 3 Emission
|Operations Value Chain||Category||Description||Emissions（t-CO₂e）Note1|
|Not include Consigned ProductsNote2||Include Consigned ProductsNote2|
|Upstream||3||Upstream transportation and distribution||277.97||646.60|
|Downstream transportation and distribution||0.20||901.86|
|4||Purchased goods and services||553,795.08||752,416.69|
|Fuel- and energy-related activities||124,456.91||124,456.91|
|Waste generated in operations||943.59||943.59|
|Upstream leased assets||13,045.93||13,045.93|
|Downstream||5||Use of sold products||355,972.84||460,657.59|
|End-of-life treatment of sold products||303.19||1,403.50|
|Downstream leased assets||115,519.72||115,519.72|
|Processing of sold products||0||0|
- This table presents the emissions of each category based on the verification statement issued by the third party.
- In 2022, Chunghwa Telecom expanded its inventory to the products consigned for sale at the stores in the value chain, which generated 305,676.97 metric tons of carbon emissions.
- Due to the fact that the franchisee was unable to provide accurate activity data during the verification period, so it was not verify and displayed on the verification statement for the time being. the quantification of this value was completed after July, and the value was 3,052.00 t-CO₂e. Therefore, after adding the Franchises, the total emissions of “Not include Consigned Products” and the “Include Consigned Products” are 1,525,435.92 t-CO₂e and 1,831,112.89 t-CO₂e. Chunghwa Telecom promises to solve the problem next year.
- In 2022, the emission target was set at 1.9 million metric tons, with a challenge target of 1.86 million metric tons, by Chunghwa Telecom.
Energy Saving and Carbon Reduction Plan and Results
To cope with the climate change risks and introduce more benefits from energy saving and carbon reduction, Chunghwa Telecom formulated tangible energy saving and carbon reduction action plans. In addition to active energy efficiency improvement, through autonomous environmental measures and practices, it compiles and analyzes energy data for a science-based management.
Energy Efficiency Improvement
Green Energy Introduction
Telecom Facility Energy-Saving Plan
Autonomous Environmental Protection
Value-added Products & Services