Biodiversity and No Deforestation Commitment
Biodiversity and No Deforestation Commitment
Chunghwa Telecom fully recognizes the importance of biodiversity and no deforestation for ecological and climate stability. Therefore, we are committed to maintaining and fostering biodiversity, avoiding all kinds of deforestation activities, and promoting reforestation throughout our operations as well as within our value chain (including Tier-1 and non Tier-1) and with our partners. Our goal is to implement the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 6, 12, 13, 14, 15 * as well as the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, to reverse biodiversity loss by 2030 and ultimately achieve a vision of living in harmony with nature by 2050.
- We will avoid engaging new operational activities including offices/stores, server rooms, and base stations in adjacent areas of critical biodiversity*. For national infrastructure necessity purpose to establish telecommunications infrastructure in these areas, we will comply with relevant regulations to conduct environmental impact assessments to evaluate and monitor the impact of biodiversity. Additionally, we will follow the mitigation hierarchy (avoid, minimize, restore, and offset) to protect the ecosystem of critical biodiversity and reach no net loss.
- To those existing operational activities are located in adjacent areas of critical biodiversity. We will gradually initiate risk assessment and monitoring for natural resource utilization and biodiversity to develop strategies to mitigate and reduce our dependence on natural resources while actively working towards achieving net positive impact on biodiversity by 2030.
- We will conduct an inventory of current operational activities' usage of forest products (such as paper, packaging, building materials, etc.), and allocate resources towards reforestation, moving towards the goal of no net deforestation by 2030.。
- To enhance the awareness of stakeholders (employees, customers, suppliers, and partners) about the importance of biodiversity and forest conservation.
- To participate local and international important biodiversity initiatives and collaborate with external experts (academics, consultants, or non-governmental organizations) to grasp the development of biodiversity issues and plan long-term strategies.
- To regularly disclose the progress of biodiversity and no deforestation on our company website or in sustainability reports.
- SDG 6: Clean water and sanitation, SDG 12: Responsible consumption and production、SDG 13: Climate action, SDG 14: Life below water, SDG 15: Life on land.
- Within 2km around nationally important biodiversity areas and the habitats of species classified as Critically Endangered, Endangered, or Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List.
- We conduct nature capital impact and dependency assessments on all operational locations within the company's scope.
- Require suppliers to comply with this commitment through "Chunghwa Telecom Supplier Code of Conduct".
- Before constructing major telecommunications facilities such as international submarine cables and Data Center, we will obtain the permits from government in accordance with relevant environmental assessments regulations, in order to minimize the impact on the ecosystem.
- We collaborate with the Forestry Bureau to engage in reforestation and rehabilitation efforts in key state-owned forests and coastal areas throughout Taiwan. Our eight-year goal is to plant 150,000 trees.
- Assisted by consultants on biodiversity issues, including scope definition, identification of driving factors, assessment of the status of natural capital and its impacts, and completion of Biodiversity Declaration.
- The Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) research project in 2023 includes biodiversity benchmarking practices, Taskforce on Nature-related Financial, and coping strategies to these new issues.
- Revised the "Chunghwa Telecom Company, Ltd. Supplier Code of Conduct" requiring suppliers to comply with the company's biodiversity and deforestation commitments.
- Donated NT$10 million to the Forestry Bureau, Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan on February 24, 2023, for afforestation.
- Conducted the Chunghwa Telecom Supplier Sustainability Capability Assessment and Supply Chain Carbon Management Training on March 31, 2023, to discuss corporate carbon management and biodiversity. Encouraged suppliers to prioritize climate change issues and further establish commitments to biodiversity and deforestation.
- Joined the Business Council for Sustainable Development Taiwan (BCSD Taiwan) and its "Taiwan Nature Positive Initiative (TNPI)" on April 2023 to enhance resilience and capabilities in response to the nature trends.
- On May 21, 2023, Chunghwa Telecom joined hands with Tai Tzu-Ying for the "Winning Matches, Planting Trees" tree-planting event. Chunghwa Telecom announced its plan to expand the nationwide afforestation and tree adoption project with an aim of 150,000 trees in 8 years.