Energy Management System
Chunghwa Telecom is the first telecom company in Taiwan that introduced and was certified to ISO 50001 Energy Management (EnMS).。
We combine an array of technologies of electricity environmental monitoring and systems development to actively improve the energy consumption at workplace, IDCs, and base stations to raise power usage effectiveness and cut costs, which effectively reduce the environmental impacts from carbon emissions in order to achieve eco-friendliness and the Company’s goal for net-zero emissions.
|Total consumption of “non-renewable energy” (MWh)||1,492,111||1,575,811||1,479,259||1,418,106|
|Total amount of “purchased or self-produced” renewable energy (MWh)||102||105||111||24,049|
|Total cost of energy consumption (cost of purchased electricity) (million NTD)||3,634||3,436||3,698||3,812|
Use of Renewable Energy
- CHT used 24.049 million kWh of renewable energy and has entered into FIT contracts for 62 million kWh in 2022.
- The Banqiao IDC’s Solar power system has a total installed capacity of 96 KW and obtains more than 100 T-RECs each year.
- From 2019 to 2021, the proportion of renewable energy in Chunghwa Telecom's electricity supply was approximately 6% to 6.3%, according to Taiwan Power Company's electricity generation structure.(including wind power, hydropower, and solar power). This falls within the category of "purchased or self-generated" renewable energy for Chunghwa Telecom. In the future, to demonstrate its ambitious goals, Chunghwa Telecom aims to increase the overall usage of "purchased or self-generated" renewable energy as part of its corporate operations.”
- Two methods are adopted at Chunghwa Telecom to obtain green power, namely self-generation and renewable power purchase agreement (PPA), and a total of 24,048,718 kWh were used and 24,029 T-RECs were obtained in 2022.
- Self-generation: Chunghwa Telecom has installed the PV system to the IDC in Banqiao and has applied to the National Renewable Energy Certification Center to obtain the renewable energy certificates (T-RECs). A total of 90 T-RECs were obtained in 2022, equivalent to approximately 90,000 kWh. The serial numbers of T-RECs are 17SP0007-B022000001 to 17SP0007-B0220000090;
- Renewable power purchase agreement (PPA): Chunghwa Telecom has signed the power purchase agreements (PPAs) with Helios Power Co., Ltd. and Foxwell Power Co., Ltd. A total of 23,958,718 kWh was purchased in 2022, with the T-Rec numbers shown in the T-REC website, totally 23,939 T-RECs.
IDC Energy Saving
The electricity consumption at the IDCs and base stations are the main contributors to the carbon emissions at Chunghwa Telecom. In 2020, we officially made the commitment to “100% IDCs using renewable energy by 2030.” We are actively procuring renewable energy from the private sector. Part of the renewable energy procurement has been completed in 2022. The power wheeled was 23.96 million kWh cumulatively, in which approximately 18.9 million kWh was used by IDCs, while approximately 5.06 million kWh was by others with a plan to raise the procurement amount year by year to increase the share of renewable energy used. Through the accurate construction of 5G base stations and the innovative C-RAN architecture, it leverages the ICT technologies to cut GHG emissions.
Aside from transformation of decades of experiences cumulated in electricity environmental monitoring and system development into energy management technical support to launch “Intelligent Energy Network Service,” Chunghwa Telecom was also the first in the industry to propose the state-of-the-art C-RAN architecture in 2020. It not only saves a huge amount of energy consumed by air-conditioning for cooling and the supporting equipment but also effectively saves spaces required in the base stations, achieving the goal of low-carbon sustainable network construction.
To reduce the overall carbon emissions of the Company, we have incorporated 100% IDCs using renewable energy in the long-term carbon management goals of the Company. Through transformation of Internet Data Centers (IDCs) and VoIP technology for the telecom equipment introduced, we expect to save a huge amount of energy consumption, using technology to save energy, cut emissions, and achieve the vision of net-zero emissions.
|Total energy consumed (MWh)||166,000||165,760||161,944||147,596|
|Percentage of renewable energy used (%)||0.061||0.063||0.065||12.7|
- Prior to 2022, CHT did not have a planned procurement of green energy, except for a small amount of green energy (self-generated/solar photovoltaic) in the Banqiao IDC data center.
- In 2022, in compliance with the requirement for convergence of electricity certificates for green energy, the proportion of renewable energy usage was revised to be based on "actual usage."
- The values prior to 2022 were originally the proportion of renewable energy in the Taiwan Power Company's power grid. Following the aforementioned logic, they have been adjusted to align with actual usage.
|Average Power Usage Efficiency (PUE)||1.67||1.67||1.66||1.65|
|Renewable energy used (kWh)||100,896||104,608||108,767||8,002,140|
|Electricity used (kWh)||24,470,132||34,446,400||42,700,800||59,631,050|