5G Green Enterprise
5G Green Enterprise
To live up to its commitment to environmental sustainability and march toward the goal of net-zero emissions, Chunghwa Telecom aims for becoming a “Green Enterprise.” The 5G (Green) Green Enterprise Actions were taken to incorporate the environmental sustainability issues into the corporate operation, products, and services to strengthen the core competencies and guide the development of a low-carbon sustainable industry.
|5G Action||Results in 2022|
|1G: Green Operation||
|2G: Green Energy||
|3G: Green Energy||
|4G: Green Supply Chain||
|5G: Green Procurement||
1G: Green Operation
To more efficiently manage all the environmental resources and energy efficiency performance, we successfully developed the Environment ARtificer THeurgy System, aka. the EARTH system, to effectively reduce costs in energy and raise environmental management efficiency.
|Environmental management costs (NT$ thousand)||328,558||329,126||330,550||348,375|
|Percentage in revenue (%)||0.16||0.16||0.16||0.16|
2G: Green Energy
To fulfill the commitment to 100% IDCs using renewable energy and march toward the goal of net-zero emissions, Chunghwa Telecom proactively invests in renewable development and deploy solar power plant. A total of 55 Solar Power systems installed across Taiwan with a total capacity of 4,658.8 kWp as of the end of 2022.
3G: Green Store
Chunghwa Telecom is the first telecom company with the first service center fully transformed into a green store in Taiwan. With the “CHT Green Store,” we encourage consumers to purchase green products first. Chunghwa Telecom’s revenue from green products as of the end of December 2022 was NT$289.58 million, accounting for 14.17% of revenue from its commercially available products.
|Type of Products||Low carbon product||Avoided emissions for third-parties|
|Description||MOD Set-top box
1. The number of CHT’s Set-top box in 2022 was 2,388,898, and we shall continue to promote carbon emission reduction with 40.476 t-CO2e reduced per year.
2. ISO 14067 carbon footprint certificate was obtained in June 2023.
|IDCs and cloud services
1. The IDCs of Chunghwa Telecom are green data centers with a high energy efficiency (PUE 1.65), far superior to that of the conventional IDCs (PUE 1.9), hosting over 10,000 chassis for users
2. Approximately 22.68 million kWh of electricity saved per year for consumers by using the IDC services of Chunghwa Telecom, according to the electricity consumption statistics of IDCs in 2022
|% of total revenues *||22.04%||38.41%|
|total reduced/avoided emissions per year||40.476 t-CO2e||11,540 t-CO2e|
*Note: % of total revenues from "climate change" product(s) in FY 2022
We promote the “paperless receipt service” comprehensively. As of December 2022, the ratio of paperless receipts was over 72%. With 612 million sheets of paper saved, which is equivalent to 55,600 trees saved or 11,000 metric tons of carbon emissions reduced, we contributed to the global warming mitigation.
|Sheets of paperless bills (in 10K)||1,933||1,968||1,994||2,039|
|Ratio of paperless bills (%)||70||71||71||72|
|Sheets of paper saved (in K)||579,946||590,000||590,000||611,603|
|Trees in conversion||52,7220||53,673||54,382||55,600|
|Carbon emissions reduced (metric ton)||10,439||10,627||10,768||11,009|
4G: Green Supply Chain
As early as in 2008, we have been implementing “sustainable supply chain management action” as the first telecom operator that implemented the supply chain sustainability management. To strengthen the “sustainability level” throughout the supply chain, Chunghwa Telecom went first in the industry by securing two “Firsts in terms of Supply Chain”:
- First ICT enterprise that launched the “sustainable supply chain” initiative, effectively connecting with authoritative sustainability organizations and partners around the globe to specifically respond to the UN SDGs together with our supplier partners
- First telecom operator in Taiwan that joined “CDP Supply Chain Program” to invite suppliers to fill out their carbon management information on the international platform, elevating the suppliers’ carbon management capabilities via the scientific, quantitative mechanism.
5G: Green Procurement
Chunghwa Telecom proactively puts the idea of “green procurement” into action. It procures green products with green labels (low in pollution, recyclable, resource efficient, or green building materials), self-declared, or with lower environmental impacts throughout their lifecycles (from resource procurement to disposal) first and actively partakes in green procurement initiatives and campaigns in an attempt to encourage the green consumption trend in the industry and the broader society.
Aiming for an annual 5% of green procurement, we work to raise the green procurement to 50% or more in the overall procurement amount in the future. Also, ISO 20400 sustainable procurement guidance has been introduced to strengthen and exercise the green practices of sustainable procurement through the ISO procurement management system.
|Green procurement amount (NT$ million)||1,024||904||14,994||17,605|
|Percentage of green procurement amount (%)||2.47||1.08||22.37||28.67|